I’m not a football fan, but I love a good party! My friend Laura invited me over to her house on Sunday to watch the big game with a few friends. Since I don’t like to make my special dietary needs a big deal, I’ve been thinking about what gluten-free foods I can bring that will also be enjoyable to others at the party. This way, I know for sure that I’ll have “safe” foods to eat, and I’ll also be contributing to the party as a whole. The last thing I’d want to do is pull a snack bar out of my purse!
Here are a few recipes I’ve found that would be perfect for a Super Bowl (or any other) party:
- Mini Cheesecakes I remember my mother making a variation of these when I was a child and how much I loved them! To make the recipe gluten-free, all you need to do is substitute the graham crackers with a brand made without gluten. I would also use fresh fruit topping if the ingredients in pre-packaged pie filling are a concern.
- Mini Corn Dog Muffins I saw these on Iowa Girl Eats yesterday and knew I had to make them! They look so festive and will be easy to make gluten-free by simply switching out the regular flour for Bob’s Red Mill all-purpose gluten free flour, which I already have in my pantry.
- Mexican Layer Dip This is another party staple that is so easy to prepare and is usually gone by the end of the night.
And here are some other great snack ideas that don’t require any cooking at all:
- Potato chips and dip (just read the label to make sure they’re gluten free)
- Tortilla chips and salsa (same as above – just remember to check labels!)
- Cheese tray with fruit and gluten free crackers
- Mixed nuts
- Pre-cut veggies and hummus
In addition to food options, I need to make sure there will be good beverage choices for me at the party. Let’s face it, football just calls for beer drinking! And, unfortunately, I can’t just crack open a cold one anymore. So that I don’t feel left out, I will either bring some gluten-free beers or cider with me, or maybe a bottle of wine.
My celiac diagnosis is not going to stop me from having a good time! There are plenty of classic party foods that are naturally gluten-free, or can easily be adapted to fit in my diet. Let me know if you think of any other must-haves for this Sunday!
Until next time!